In this episode of LAB Radio, Aaron Mangal discusses the BitShares (BTS) ecosystem, the Graphene engine that underlies it and algorithms like Delegated Proof of Stake (DPOS) with Kevin Messerly. Graphene was originally designed by Daniel Larimer who also founded Steemit and EOS.
Kevin Messerly, Proxy and DEXBot Team Manager
“I have six years experience as a cryptocurrency investor and advocate. Additionally, I have four years experience as a sales executive/account manager with a track record of high performance and strong work ethics. On top of that I have over fourteen years experience as an intelligence analyst for the United States Army and Department of Defense. I have successfully operated in high stress environments, requiring 13 hour shifts, six or seven days a week, throughout four deployments in Southwest Asia, South-Central Asia, and Africa for a total of 49 months.”
Graphene is the underlying technology that underlies BitShares and several other Cryptocurrency projects like Steemit and EOS. Graphene is an open source C++ blockchain implementation, which acts as a consensus mechanism.
BTS also has the ability to issued market pegged assets which are tied with real-time real world prices.
The BitShares market pegged BitAssets system
Ultimately, BitShares operates more as an equity rather than a purist “currency” since BTS tokens are used as collateral for a variety of decentralized financial services like smart contracts, decentralized exchanges, banking, derivative creation (of market pegged “bitAssets”) and currency rails.
Thanks for checking out LAB Radio.
After listening to this episode you will learn:
- Kevin’s origin story and how he first discovered Cryptocurrency in 2011
- Why BTS, in particular, caught Kevin’s eye
- How BTS leverages a suite of services including a DEX, bank and even user issued assets (UIA)
- About how the platform had the first stable coin and market pegged assets (MPA) system
- The construct of Witnesses who process transactions and maintain price feeds
- The concept of decentralized banking and how you can borrow against your BitShares as collateral
- How Black swan events and collateral are handled by the system
- The risk and challenges of growing an ecosystem like BitShares
- The benefits of Decentralized Exchanges (DEXs)
Further Reading and Resources
- Kevin Twitter | LinkedIn
- Crossing the Chain E. 004 – Bitshares: King of the DEX
- What is Bitshares? The Ultimate Guide for Beginners
- BitShares site
Daniel Larimer discusses BTS as a movement: