On this LAB Radio, episode Aaron Mangal discusses Blockchain Regulation and the legal side of Cryptocurrencies with Morvareed Salehpour.
Morvareed Salehpour, Attorney and Speaker
Morvareed Z. Salehpour specializes in handling a diverse range of complex legal matters both in and outside the courtroom. She is experienced in negotiating a variety of contracts and legal agreements and litigating cases from inception to trial and appeal. She has represented companies and individuals in a variety of industries, including blockchain, technology, entertainment, media, banking, manufacturing, real estate, fashion, retail, food and beverage, and healthcare, among others.
She has represented clients across the nation ranging from entrepreneurs and small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. She enthusiastically applies unique solutions to client needs, working hard to devote herself to efficient resolutions.
Morvareed earned a degree in Political Science, summa cum laude, from UCLA in 2007 and received her JD from the UCLA School of Law in 2010, where she also served as a Managing Editor for the UCLA Law Review. She previously practiced at BakerHostetler, a national firm where her work included being a member of the legal team seeking to recover the principal lost in the Madoff Ponzi scheme, and then at Strange & Butler, a complex litigation boutique.
She is admitted to the State Bar of California, is a member of the bars of the United States District Court for the Central, Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California, and a member of the bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
She is also active in the tech community and enjoys analyzing and discussing developing legal issues in that field, particularly with respect to the blockchain, artificial intelligence, virtual reality/augmented reality, and esports.
After listening to this episode you will learn:
- About Morvareed’s background, where she’s from and how she got started in the Law (Hint: Law and Order)
- How Morvareed decided to focus her legal services on Blockchain and Cryptocurrency technology
- The way she approached applying legal capabilities and the Law to Blockchain
- About the US-based case law system and how it affects the development of Blockchain Regulations
- Why we have been through these cycles before with the Law but with other tech booms
- Key concepts including Jurisdiction, Liability, Enforcement, Crypto Asset Management, and Copyright Protection
- The dark side of Cryptocurrency and the Law behind Blockchain Regulation
- Threats to Blockchain immutability
- About the uniform regulation of virtual-currency businesses act
Further Reading and Resources
Regulation of Virtual Currency Business Act
How is a Security Token different from a Utility Token
Morvareed discusses Legal and Regulatory Issues Relating to Smart Contracts and Blockchain: